In this blog post, we will go over some tips on how to select the best hashtags for your social media post.
Hashtags are a type of metadata tag that are used on social media platforms to group content and make it more easily discoverable by users who are interested in a particular topic or theme. Hashtags are created by adding the “#” symbol before a word or phrase, without any spaces or punctuation.
When a user includes a hashtag in their social media post, it becomes clickable and leads to a search results page that displays all other posts that have used the same hashtag. This allows users to explore related content and connect with others who are interested in the same topics.
Hashtags can be used on a wide range of social media platforms, including Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, and others. They are commonly used by individuals, brands, and organizations to increase the visibility and reach of their posts, as well as to engage with their audience and participate in broader conversations about relevant topics.
Research Popular Hashtags
The first step in selecting the best hashtags for your post is to research popular hashtags that are relevant to your content. You can do this by searching for keywords related to your post on social media platforms such as Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook. This will give you an idea of what hashtags are currently trending and being used by other users.
There are a number of tools available to research popular hashtags, which can help you find relevant and trending topics to include in your social media posts. Here are a few examples:
- Hashtagify is a popular hashtag research tool that allows users to search for hashtags and see their popularity, related hashtags, and other useful data.
- RiteTag is a hashtag research tool that provides real-time hashtag suggestions based on the content of a user's social media post, along with data on the popularity and potential reach of each suggestion.
- Sprout Social is a social media management platform that includes a hashtag tracking feature, allowing users to monitor the performance of specific hashtags and see how they are being used across different social media platforms.
- Hootsuite is another social media management platform that includes a hashtag tracking feature, as well as a keyword search tool that can be used to find relevant hashtags and topics.
- Google Trends is a free tool that allows users to see the popularity of specific search terms over time, which can be useful for identifying trending topics and hashtags.
Use Relevant Hashtags
It’s important to only use relevant hashtags in your post. This means that the hashtags you choose should be directly related to the content of your post. For example, if you’re posting a picture of a beautiful sunset, you would want to use hashtags such as #sunset, #sunsetlovers, and #goldenhour.
Use a Mix of General and Specific Hashtags
When selecting hashtags for your post, it’s important to use a mix of general and specific hashtags. General hashtags are more broad and can help to increase the visibility of your post to a wider audience. Specific hashtags are more niche and can help to attract a more targeted audience. For example, if you’re posting a picture of a delicious meal, you would want to use a general hashtag such as #food and a specific hashtag such as #lasagna.
Avoid Overusing Hashtags
It’s important to avoid overusing hashtags in your post. This can make your post appear spammy and can also decrease the effectiveness of your hashtags. A good rule of thumb is to use no more than 2-3 hashtags per post.
Use Brand-Specific Hashtags
If you’re promoting a brand or product, it’s a good idea to use brand-specific hashtags in your post. For example, if you’re promoting a new product from Nike, you would want to use the hashtag #Nike. This can help to increase the visibility of your post to users who are interested in the brand.
In conclusion, selecting the best hashtags for your social media post is an important step in increasing the visibility and engagement of your post. By following these tips, you can increase the chances of your post being seen and engaged with by the right audience.